Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baroness Emmuska Orczy: A Review

Title: The Scarlet Pimpernel

Author: Baroness Emmuska Orczy
Pages: 264
Date Finished: August 15, 2007
Rating: 3.75/5

Set during the French Revolution, The Scarlet Pimpernel is the story of a courageous, but mysterious person who helps the French nobility/aristocracy to escape to England where they can live without the fear of the Reign of Terror. This book was an easy and enjoyable read. Well, the first few chapters were a little drab, but once the action began the story propelled itself with ease.

Caught up in the middle of the drama is the beautiful Lady Marguerite Blakeney, who is married to the dull Englishman Percy Blakeney. Marquerite's brother is in grave danger in France and she must make the decision to help the evil Chauvelin discover the identity of the Scarlet Pimpernel or save her brother. After she makes her decision, the plot falls into a whirlwind of disguise, romance, heartbreak, battles, deception, cunning, and suspense. Alright, so the book is pretty darn predictable, but I still felt myself turning the pages quickly and biting my nails with anticipation. Orczy certainly keeps the reader engaged surprisingly well (for me anyway).

Recommendation: Its a fun book, not the best I've ever read, but I am certainly glad that I did so. Like I said, it is predictable, but still enjoyable. I think this book could be easily enjoyed (except for maybe a certain someone who disdains classics). Enjoy!

No comments: