HAWAII - Oahu
Scott and I had been tinkering with the idea of another vacation lately--debating the merits of heading toward a resort in Hawaii or opting for another cruise (we love cruising). When Scott emailed me one afternoon at work and said, Let's go to Hawaii, I said YES and the trip was booked that night.
We visited the island of Oahu for a week and had an amazing time. I do have to admit that the weather was very disappointing, but as you can see from the pictures we still did a plethora of activities. The blue sky in the pictures is deceiving--we probably had sunshine 15% of the trip. I usually do a fair amount of typing about our trips on my travel blog (which I don't keep up with very well...except big vacations), but this time I'm going to let the pictures mostly speak for themselves in a kind of Trish and Scott's Top 10 of our Hawaiian Vacation.
1. Driving around the island in search of sun (finally putting the top down on the jeep after rain all day--as soon as we got back in the car the rain started again, but not for long)
2. Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay where we saw tons of fish and even a giant sea turtle (picture on regular old film...not developed yet) The brown you see in the picture is the reef--yes, that close to the shore!
3. Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial. A very sobering must see--did you know that gallons of oil still seep from the ship all these years later? The water is covered in oily film!
4. Windsurfing OK, so no picture, because I didn't want to take the camera to the beach or in the water. But just imagine! It was actually around 25 mph wind when we attempted windsurfing, so we didn't do as well as we hoped. But we sure had fun!
5. Dole Pineapple Plantation and World's Largest Maze (which we didn't finish). I didn't know that pineapple grew out of the ground! Definitely not what I expected.
6. Hiking up Diamondhead (second picture is view of Waikiki Beach where we stayed). See what I mean about the clouds? As soon as we got down the crater back to the car, it started pouring. :)
7. Hiking to the Manoa Falls (the Hawaii as we truly imagined--although these pictures look awfully similar to our hiking trip at Mendenhall Glacier in Alaska!!)
8. Peace and Quiet at Byodo-In Temple - Valley of the Temples on windward side of the island.
9. Spending quality time with husband (picture taken at sunrise the first day--that 4 hour time difference was a beating!)
10. The drop-dead gorgeous scenery
*If case you're wondering--Trish, how did you get all of those pictures of you and Scott in those remote places? ALL of the pictures of us except the one on top Diamondhead were taken with the help of my gorillapod. The greatest, handiest traveling devise ever. See example below.